FIX EQUALIZATION: IT’S TIME FOR EQUALIZATION FAIRNESS
It’s no secret that the current equalization and transfer program is unfair to Albertans, which is why I tabled the Equalization and Transfers Fairness Act to restore fairness to Albertans. The Equalization and Transfers Act strengthens principles of fairness, transparency, and accountability in Canada’s equalization regime. The Act achieves five things:
1. Removes the $170 per capita limit on fiscal stabilization payments that may be paid to a province.
2. Requires the federal government to publish on the Department of Finance website all documents from provincial consultations on any changes made to equalization.
3. Requires the government to publish the details of their equalization calculations on the Department of Finance calculations as soon as they are completed or on July 1, whichever comes first.
4. Requires the Government of Canada to table a report in Parliament within 90 days following a provincial referendum on equalization and a minister’s refusal to enter into negotiations detailing why the Government of Canada refused to negotiate, or a report within 120 days detailing the steps the Minister took to negotiate with a province on their referendum and to address the concerns highlighted in the referendum.
5. Renames the Federal-Provincial Fiscal Arrangements Act the “Equalization and Transfers Act” to ensure transparency in instances where the act is amended in omnibus budget legislation.
This act will help ensure Albertans get a fair deal from Confederation. If you support this act, add your name below.